Random Spots (Pages is such a blah term, don't you think?)

The Countdown begins...

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Thursday, August 12, 2010

3 Simple Guidelines...for Courtship...

Yes, everyone, I am still here! I am so sorry that I haven't been visiting around to different blogs like I used to. I feel like I'm neglecting some of ya'll! :) But I am still here, and I do get the chance occasionally to stop in and read over your posts! Keep posting away!

Now, on to what I wanted to post about tonight, quickly...Daddy has been preaching in the book of Proverbs every Wednesday night since the beginning of the year, and tonight, he finished up chapter 21. The last two Wednesday nights he has been preaching on getting along with other people. Tonight, he came to this verse, Proverbs 21:19, "It is better to dwell in the wilderness, than with a contentious and an angry woman," and then he broke off into 3 simple guidelines for knowing if a certain person is the "one" and I thought that I would quickly share them with you. Now, these are just a few of the definite yes and no issues that should be the first things that you consider before starting a relationship with the opposite sex.

1. Are they saved, faithfully serving the Lord, faithfully attending church, and do they believe like you?

2 Corinthians 6:14 "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?"

I know that this is talking primarily about a saved person marrying an unsaved, but you need to consider this, too. Does this person hold the same standards? One thing that I wanted in a man, and the Lord has blessed me with when I started courting Jonathan, was I wanted a young man that held the same standards. I wanted someone that was going to be a good spiritual leader. Someone I could look up to for guidance, not someone that would make me become less spiritual, but someone that would encourage me to grow in my walk with the Lord. Praise the Lord, He has!

Another thing about this, too, which my parents have taught me time and time again. You are NOT going to change that person after you are married. If you think, "Oh, he will become more faithful after we are married, and we can go to church together." You are in for a rude awakening. Same thing, young men, if the girl lacks obedience now to her father, what do you think she will do to you? Is she modest now? Is he interested in the things of the Lord? Does modesty matter to him? Does he attend the same kind of church? Does that church believe the same as you do? Is there a doctrinal issue that you two do not agree on? If so, what will you teach your kids? All are important questions...there are probably more!

2. Do you have the approval of your parents? We all know those verses in Ephesians 6..."Honor thy father and mother..." I know what a lot of young people think...and yes, even Christian young people think this, too. Why do I need the approval of my parents? 1) Who knows you better other than the Lord? Who has lived with you for the past 18 years or more? Who knows your personality? Who has prayed for you? YOUR PARENTS...they know you probably better than you know yourself, and being in love, you definitely will not see something that may be wrong in your relationship.

Proverbs 1:5 "A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels."
Proverbs 1:8  "My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother: "

Never assume that you do not need your parents approval and guidance. The Lord gave them to you, to train you, to, with the Lord's help, direct you and instruct you. Listen to them.

2) If it dishonors the God-given authority in your life, it is more than likely NOT God's will. God never goes against His Word. Why would He bring someone or something in your life that would cause you to dishonor your parents? Go against their approval? It might would be different if your parents were unsaved, but even then, they still know you better as far as personality...the Lord still gives them that authority in your life, especially as a young lady. Men, if a lady will not honor her parents, be careful!

3. Last but definitely not least...Allow God to bring your future relationship about! Daddy said, if you have to manipulate a plan to bring this relationship about, even do it in secrecy, it is not of the Lord. Let God work in it...if it is His will, it will happen! And when it does, it is so amazing to look back and see what the Lord has done. You will not be able to explain it, but you will truly know that it was of the Lord and not you! You will not have any question about the above 2 points because they will fall into place. So basically, if you let the Lord direct, lead, and guide, you have nothing to worry about! Trust me, it is far better in God's hands than yours!

4 comments:

Cove Girl said...

Thanks for sharing!

Pioneer Beauty said...

Dearest Jennifer,
I think I landed on your Mother's blog today.I left her a comment and asked if it was her LOL..What a beautiful post..My husband and I unfortunately didn't get grow up under the tutelage of Christian parnents..so we both come from dating backgrounds..Oh how it pains even to this day that I was sucked into the worlds way..but praise God for His mercy and grace..He made us clean and whole..It is such an inspiration to see young ladies who are going into marriage as God has ordained...If that was your mom that I just visited today..what a special gift she has in you..I am sure you bring your Mother and Father great joy...I just posted an article about daughters today and there is a picture of my two young daughters in it..I hope you stop by for a visit..

Many Blessings
In Christ
Angelina

-Kate- said...

this was very good! thank you for posting this!! I wish I hadnt had to learn these the hard way....

Julia said...

Great post! and I like the picture too!!!


For Your Enjoyment!