Random Spots (Pages is such a blah term, don't you think?)

The Countdown begins...

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Is Anything too Hard for God?

I did this devotion a year ago when I was at West Coast Baptist College, and I felt like I should post it on here with some added thoughts. Sometimes we limit the power of God on our lives by not trusting Him and Him alone to fulfill His desire for us. I am reminded of one of my favorite verses,where the angel appeared unto Mary, and when she said how can this be, the angel answered back, in Luke 1:37, "For with God nothing shall be impossible." So here is the devotion! I hope it is a blessing!

 
IS ANYTHING TOO HARD FOR GOD?
 

One of my favorite songs is "Is Anything Too Hard for God?" The first verse goes like this:

 

It's out of your hands you've done all you can do

Given God the problem it's no longer up to you.

You prayed the prayer of faith,

You're standing on God's Word.

While you're waiting on the answer,

He has a question for you—

 

Is anything too hard for God?

Who's got a problem beyond His power to solve?

Are there situations He's not the master of?

Is anything too hard for God?

 

How many times have you worried about the Lord's will? Or maybe you were troubled about a situation that you had no control of? I know that I have too many times…

 

1 Peter 4:19 says, "Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to Him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator."

 

Psalms 37:5 says, "Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in Him; and He shall bring it to pass. Verse 7a says, "Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him…"

 

So, how can we as Christians leave our lives up to God? 

 

I.                   Commit your way to the Lord

 

·         The Hebrew for "commit" means to roll your way upon the Lord. Can you imagine, Christian in Pilgrim's Progress (and I know that this is depicting his salvation, but this is the word picture that I wanted to add in here) when his burden rolled off at the Cross? This is kind of how we need to be with our way and our wants...let it just fall into the Saviour's hands...

 

`          

A.                My way is not my way anymore

 

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 says, "What? Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's."

 

"We own nothing, we have the right to nothing." –unknown
This should be our motto as Christians. Yes, we have a home in heaven and a wonderful heavenly Father, but we are not our own...Picture this: You were a slave in a slave auction, and Satan was bidding for your life, BUT Jesus Christ paid the price in full. You are bought! You've been sold! Your body is not your own, but your new Master has given you His inheritance! You have been welcomed into His home as a child. He has given you complete freedom, but He's given you all this and after all that He did to pay for you...you still want your own way! Does that sound right? Wouldn't you give your life to please Him, to honor and glorify Him? Wouldn't you give up your way for what He wanted for your life? Even though He expects nothing, we owe Him everything.

 

B.                 God's way is perfect

 

Psalms 18:30, "As for God, His way is perfect: the Word of the Lord is tried: He is a buckler to all those that trust in Him."

 

Verse 32, "It is God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect."

 

·         The Little Girl and the Pearl Necklace—girls saved her money to buy a fake pearl necklace from the store, and she loves HER pearl necklace. Every night her father would ask her before she went to sleep if she loved him, and if she really loved him she would give up her pearl necklace. After several weeks of being asked to give up her necklace, she finally handed to her father…what she did not know is that her father had the best—a real pearl necklace! I love this illustration, and I know that I use it a lot, but it fits in so well!

 

Therefore, we need to…

 

II.                Rest in the Lord

 

·         The Hebrew for "rest" is to be silent to the Lord. To leave it completely in His hands, and be quiet about it.

 

·         Romans 12:1-2 and Genesis 22:1-14—In Romans 12, the Bible talks about presenting our lives as living sacrifices before the Lord. In order to be a living sacrifice, we must let our lives rest upon the altar just like when Isaac lay on the altar. He rested in his father's care. He never resisted.

 

In order to rest, we must believe…

 

III.             God's Faithfulness

 

·         1 Thessalonians 5:24—"Faithful is He that calleth you, who also will do it."

 

·         2 Thessalonians 3:3—"But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil."
 
I think that the last verse of the song clearly finishes the point...
 
The last verse of "Is Anything Too Hard for God?" is this:

 

Only believe, trust His Word, you'll see.

His plans are now unfolding,

Performing perfect peace.

 

It's clear how much He loves us,

Look at what He's done,

Is anything too hard for God?

 

The question is—will you believe His faithfulness? Will you leave your all with Him? Do you trust Him?

 

 

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Great post, Jennifer!!

Anonymous said...

This post is a blessing. This morning a friend sent me "The Necklace" and it was the first time I'd read it. Now, I read it here only a few hours later. I can't help but think God is trying to tell me something thru my brothers and sisters in Christ. Actually, I know He is becauase I'm convicted of it every day. Thank you.


For Your Enjoyment!