Random Spots (Pages is such a blah term, don't you think?)

The Countdown begins...

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Random thoughts...as always...or Handfuls of Purpose

Yes, another random post...which seems like all I'm good at recently! But alas, here we go!

I have been contemplating on what to post on...and what is so bad is the fact that most of my post ideas come in the middle of church during daddy's sermons...hmm...(and also a result of the sermon Bro. Joe Arthur preached at the Sword) one verse that stood out to me recently was Ruth 2:16, "And let fall also some of the handfuls of purpose for her, and leave them, that she may glean them, and rebuke her not." The part that stood out to me was "the handfuls of purpose"...this may be really weird...but I was thinking about how that is the way we should be as Christians, leaving handfuls of purpose. Our good works do not save us, nothing saves us other than Jesus and the price He paid for us, Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

But as Christians we are to maintain good works...

Titus 3:8  This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

Titus 2:14  Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Our works do not keep us saved, Praise the Lord! But they are a "product" of what the Lord has done in our lives, a sort of fruit that we should bare as Christians. It is our "conversation" sometimes when we don't get an opportunity to share the Gospel. (I do believe that we should verbally share the Gospel with unbelievers not just live it, but we should do both! But we can share the Gospel and not live it and what kind of testimony would that be? The first opportunity, you have to share the Gospel is through what people see in you, and how they see you act, live, and do. This can determine whether they even listen to you as you get the opportunity to share the Good News!)

1 Peter 2:12  Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.


But getting back to the handfuls of purpose...Purpose as a noun means goal, aim; intention, objective, and as a verb, it means to intend, plan, design, aim. When Boaz treated Ruth in the way he treated her, when he let her glean, he intentionally purposely dropped handfuls of grain! His good was purposely done. It was planned! The same is true in our lives as Christians. If we are to be focused on others and showing forth Christ in our lives, spreading handfuls of purpose, it must be a purposeful task. A task to die to ourselves and live for Christ and others, because it is through our lives that we do honor and glorify our Lord, through what we do for Him day to day. As a Christian, our jobs are to be servants...all for the Lord Jesus the One who bought us with a price...should we not want to serve Him? though we be free...just like when you love someone, you want to serve them, do for them...that's how we should be with Jesus, the One who loves us, bought us, we should long to serve Him in everything we do, with "handfuls of purpose"...Living for Jesus by living for others...maybe this post wasn't so random after all? ;) and hopefully I made sense? Thanks for letting me share my random thoughts...



Lord, help me live from day to day

In such a self-forgetful way
That even when I kneel to pray
My prayer shall be for—Others.

Others, Lord, yes others,
Let this my motto be,
Help me to live for others,
That I may live like Thee.

Help me in all the work I do
To ever be sincere and true
And know that all I’d do for You
Must needs be done for—Others.

Let Self? be crucified and slain
And buried deep: and all in vain
May efforts be to rise again,
Unless to live for—Others.

And when my work on earth is done,
And my new work in Heav’n’s begun,
May I forget the crown I’ve won,
While thinking still of—Others.

By Charles D. Meigs, 1917.

1 comment:

PioneerBeauty said...

Dearest Jennifer,
I thought I would stop by and visit with you..I enjoyed having you over at PioneerBeauty..Your blog is very beautiful and I want to congratulate you on your soon to be marriage..May the Lords blessings be upon you and may He grant you and bless you with the privalage of raising many faithful children for His glory.
I look forward to visiting with you again.
In Christ,
Angelina


For Your Enjoyment!