Random Spots (Pages is such a blah term, don't you think?)

The Countdown begins...

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Facing the Giants...a quick thought

No, I'm not talking about the movie...though I do love "Facing the Giants"! I was thinking about some different posts to post on, and it seems these days my mind is on the future, our coming wedding, trying to make decisions, find deals (still keep us in your prayers as we try to find a good photographer at a good price), but anyway, yesterday, I had little children's church, and I taught on David and Goliath. I love the story of David, how God used and protected him as he faced the giant in his life.

I began to think in church on Sunday night about my own giant(s). We all have them, whether they be plural or singular, they are going to always rise up because the Devil is alive and real, but just like David, we serve a God that is greater than any old ugly giant. If you remember the story in the Bible, Goliath not only made fun of the children of Israel but he also cursed their God by cursing the them, the children of Israel, God's chosen people. The same is true in our own lives, every time we give place to the giants in our lives, we are allowing that giant to belittle our God and our Saviour. I didn't even realize what I was doing until last night, and then I realized! Every time, my giant comes on the scene taunting me, I am allowing him to curse my God!

We need to be like David, take up our stones (the Word of God), asking the Lord for strength and victory, and start swinging our slingshot. It wasn't David that had the victory that day. It was the Lord's victory...the Lord guided that stone right where it needed to hit, and gave the children of Israel their needed victory over the giant and the Philistines! The same is true in our lives. The Lord has given us a weapon to use, and just like David, we need to use it, given strength by the Lord and victory by the Lord!

I was also thinking about how many stones David picked up...do you remember? It was 5 smooth stones. I heard a preacher say one time that Goliath had 4 brothers, and David was preparing for them, too. We need to be the same in our Christian lives. Just because we kill "our Goliath," we don't need to let our guard down. We need to stand firm in the Lord, having our "stone" God's Word ready for battle!

Well, I hope all my ramblings made sense! Have a great evening, everyone!

7 comments:

Cove Girl said...

Your ramblings made sense to me. I'd never heard the thing about the 5 stones before. Interesting. I've had my own "giants" to face in the past week. And so your words definitely made sense. I've been reading through Psalms lately and the other night, feeling pretty low about what's going on for me right now, the Lord pointed this verse out to me, Psalm 72:18, "Blessed be the LORD God, the God of Israel, who only doeth wondrous things." It's the first time I
ever noticed the word "only" in there. Nothing the Lord does in
mediocre. Whether it's fighting our giants, or finding you a photographer, He's capable of taking it all on for us.

BTW does your church have a website? I have a friend that may be traveling out that way and she was wondering about churches in the area.

Also, I just realized where the music was coming from as I'm typing. NICE! Personally I've always enjoyed Cinderella the best. Movie from my first father daughter date:)

Jennifer said...

We would love to have your friend visit with us. Here is the blog for the church:

http://gethsemanebaptistchurch.blogspot.com/

I'm glad that it was an encouragement for you! Thank you for your encouraging comments! They are always a blessing!

Cove Girl said...

Thanks for the blog site. Not sure what her plans are yet, but it's nice to know that I have some information for her should her plans work out.

I can't wait to hear how your photographer situation works out. Something to think about also, is that sometimes you can find a photography student that will work for a cheaper rate because they are in need of the experience. Obviously it's up to you, but that may be an option, especially if there are any art schools in your area. I mention it because that's how I've gotten a lot of my experience. It might be worth considering, just a thought.

Kristi said...

Amen, Jennifer!!

~Kristi

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Mrs. Kriti!

Thanks for the advice, too, about the photographer, Cove Girl! :)

Cove Girl said...

For other cost effective ideas I like looking at this website
http://www.mydiyweddingday.com/. Not that I'm planning anything, but it's fun to see the ideas that other people come up with.

Ashlyn Y said...

I read that David had five giants to deal with in his life: Pride, Mockery, Lust, Greed, and Hypocrisy. But I Bet there's a hundred different ideas out there! I liked yours!


For Your Enjoyment!