This week, I went to the library and got a book on baking because I wanted to learn how to bake different kinds of breads. I found this book, A Treasury of Southern Baking by Prudence Hilburn. I tried these dinner rolls, and they were so delicious! I thought that I would post the recipe on here. I also wanted to open up to my readers a chance to post their favorite recipes! If you would like me to post them, please email me your recipe and a picture, and I will post it on here for everyone to try! Please no dishes with alcohol! :-) And please be sure to give credit to where you found the recipe! I would love to hear from you!
Dinner Rolls
1 tsp. plus 2 tbsp. sugar
1/4 cup warm water
1 package (1/4 oz.) active dry yeast
1 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup shortening melted
1 tsp. salt
3 to 4 cups all purpose flour
In a small bowl, combine the 1 tsp. sugar, water, and yeast. Stir to mix. Set aside until the mixture becomes bubbly.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the remaining 2 tbsp. sugar, milk, egg, melted shortening, and salt. Beat to mix. Add 1 cup of the flour and the yeast mixture. Gradually add remaining flour until moderately firm dough is formed. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 3 to 5 minutes, until the dough is no longer sticky. Place in a large oiled bowl and turn the dough so that all surfaces are oiled. Cover with a clean dish towel and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled. This takes about 1 hour.
Punch down the dough and cover with a towel. Allow the dough to rest for about 10 minutes. Pinch off portions about the size of a large walnut. Roll into balls (or shape as desired) (I made sure my hands were floured) and place onto baking sheet. Cover with the towel and set in warm place until doubled. This usually takes about 45 minutes. (For the rising parts of this recipe, I allowed it to rise for the exact time stated, and it came out perfectly.)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until lightly browned. Serve warm with butter. (I drizzled melted butter on top when I pulled them out of the oven)
Makes about 18 large rolls
Taken from A Treasury of Southern Baking by Prudence Hilburn







1 comment:
Those buns look sooo good!
If you are interested in learning how to make different kinds of bread I would highly recommend the book, "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" You can make so many kinds with the same basic recipe.
Post a Comment